10 Essential Quantity Surveyor Duties to Include in Your CV
As a quantity surveyor applying for jobs, your CV is one of the documents that you use to market your skills and qualifications to your potential employer. Besides capturing your biodata, educational and professional qualifications in the CV, it is equally important to showcase the quantity surveyor duties you have performed (or are performing) in your past jobs.
Drafting a CV from scratch might prove time-consuming. This is why you need help in structuring your quantity surveyor duties in your CV to capture the attention of your prospective employer.
The following are some of the essential quantity surveyor duties and responsibilities that you can freely adapt to your own experience and come up with a very good resume:
- Preparation of construction cost estimates
- Preparation and pricing of bills of quantities for tender and value engineering thereof
- Contract documentation
- Attending site meetings and inspections
- Preparation of cash flow forecasts
- Advising clients/consultants on cost implications of arising variations
- Carrying out site re-measurements
- Carrying out interim valuations of works
- Preparing project financial appraisals
- Preparing of final account and agreeing with all parties
- Assessing contractor’s claims
Here’s a bonus for you:
- Building up unit construction rates based on the prices of materials, labour, transportation costs, profits & overheads for the contractor
- Advising on proper contracting and drafting of sub-contract agreements
Depending on whether you are working in a consulting firm or a contractor’s firm, the above duties can be adopted and twisted to match the specific work that you carry out on a day to day basis.
Although the list is not exhaustive, I hope that it has shed some light on the subject. If you think I have left out something let me know in the comments section below.
Join me on Patreon! https://t.co/RjNcQjo2C2
— QuantBuild Academy (@quantbuild_KE) July 27, 2020
I’m a quantity surveyor, content creator and the founder of QuantBuild Academy, the fastest-growing technology-focused YouTube channel online. I teach CAD, BIM & project management software to beginners and share residential design ideas and real estate property reviews with my viewers online.